About Scar Revision Treatment
Cypress, TX board-certified Dermatologist, Dr. Anthony Nikko has spent his medical career correcting and preventing unsightly scars. If you wish to improve your scars from injury, trauma, or surgical wounds, you have found an experienced dermatologist at Nikko Dermatology. He may transform your skin with a scar revision procedure based on your needs.
A scar in often an unattractive reminder of what remains after a surgery or an accident. We could redefine the beauty of your skin with a number of procedures designed to minimize the appearance of scars while not damaging the surrounding skin. During your private consultation with Dr. Nikko, he will explain that he cannot make scars completely disappear. Instead, he can improve the appearance of your skin and decrease the amount of scar tissue for cosmetic benefit.
Types of Scars
Since there are various scar revision procedures that address different types of scars, it is beneficial to recognize the correct type a patient has in order to treat it effectively.
- Atrophic scars take on a sunken look and are usually caused by surgery, acne, trauma or chickenpox.
- Keloid scars occur due to cell overproduction following a skin injury. They are raised, thick and have a red-purple color and extend beyond the original wound. They can be itchy or painful.
- Hypertrophic scars are raised and red in color but don’t expand beyond the wound area but can restrict movement.
- Scar contractures are usually the result of burns and leads to the skin shrinking, which can lead to a feeling of tightness and movement restriction.
How to Treat
Depending on the type of scar that a patient has, along with the size, location and its appearance, a dermatologist can employ several different procedures. For surface scars, your dermatologist may prescribe the use of topical ointments, tapes, or external compression to improve discoloration. With shave excision, a surgical shaver is used to remove the top part of the scar to leave a more even surface. Sunken or depressed scars may be injected with various substances to improve texture and overall appearance. Dermabrasion, light therapy, and chemical peels can also be deployed to improve the appearance of scars. For scars that require a more invasive approach, plastic surgery may be required.
Plan Your Service
- Service Time
- 1 hour
- Service Recovery Location
Rejuvenate Your Scars
Unsightly or painful scars no longer have to be a bother. Patients who are burdened by an existing scar of such nature are invited to call our dermatology practice in Cypress, TX to schedule a skin exam. Dr. Nikko will evaluate the scar and recommend a treatment approach so that you can show your skin without anxiety or worry. We look forward to meeting with you soon.